FAU Language Service
FAU Language Service
The Language Service supports the internationalisation objectives of the University by ensuring that the language used to present the University to an English-speaking audience is professional and consistent. We also translate important websites and documents from German to English for the University Administration and the faculties to support international students, researchers and teaching staff.
The Language Service provides certain translations free of charge, in particular those relating to FAU’s internationalisation strategy. This includes:
- Forms and templates from the University Administration
- Administrative documents relevant to students at all faculties
- Central information
- Marketing material
- Press releases and research reports
- FAU website
Any requests for translations of University Administration websites must go through the Web Team. Please contact the Web Team.
Terms of service
Please note the following when requesting a translation from the Language Service:
- The amount of time needed to complete a translation depends on the capacities available at the time. When requesting a translation, please be sure to mention if you need it by a specific deadline or at short notice.
- The customer is responsible for ensuring that the content of the source text is correct.
- The preferred format is .docx or .xliff. Other formats (especially .pdf) entail additional costs or longer turnaround times; we are happy to provide further information on request.
- The file should only contain the text to be translated (without any highlights, comments etc.).
- We deliver the translation in the same format as the source text. Unfortunately, we cannot provide any additional formatting services such as creating a bilingual form.
- Unless specified otherwise, the translation will be done in American English.
Please feel free to send us preferred terminology or reference material in a separate file.
If you need any further information or you would like to request a translation, please contact us by email – ideally with the text for translation attached.