Intensive course for German (outside the lecture period)
Intensive off-term course for German (FIT course)
- Start of intensive off-term course for German: 11 September 2023
- End of intensive off-term course for German: 27 September 2023
- Please note the registration period of 01 May 2022 to 20 August 2023.
- More about registration here.
- The placement test will take place on 05 September 2023.
- The results of the placement test and the respective locations and room numbers for classes will be announced by e-mail on Friday 08 September 2023.
Classes are held on a daily basis during the intensive course (outside the lecture period), totalling 72 teaching hours (one teaching hour lasts 45 minutes). A placement test is held before the course to allocate students to a suitable course. Absolute beginners are not required to sit a placement test.
- Regular students at FAU
- International exchange students at FAU
- Doctoral candidates at FAU and affiliated institutes
- Guest researchers at FAU and affiliated institutes
- Employees and those doing a work placement at FAU and affiliated institutes
- The courses are not open to prospective students
The course is not suitable for students preparing to sit the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH). Please refer to our website for information on relevant courses.
Please note: it is important that you arrange sufficient health insurance cover for the duration of the course.
- German language teaching aimed at various levels
- Listening comprehension
- Reading comprehension
- Modules investigating the culture of the country
The decision on which textbooks to use is taken at short notice on the basis of experience gained during previous courses. Textbooks are provided by the teacher on the first day of the course.
A list of textbooks used during the previous intensive holiday course in German can be found here:
|A1.1||Motive A1: Kurs- und Übungsbuch (Hueber)|
|A1.2||Motive A1: Kurs- und Übungsbuch (Hueber)|
|A2.1||Motive A2: Kurs- und Übungsbuch (Hueber)|
|A2.2||Motive A2: Kurs- und Übungsbuch (Hueber)|
|B1.1||Motive B1: Kurs- und Übungsbuch (Hueber)|
|B1.2||Motive B1: Kurs- und Übungsbuch (Hueber)|
Dates and times of courses
- Course schedule
Courses are held at the following times on the various days of the week:
- No lessons on the last day of the course in the afternoon
|Day of the week||10:00 – 13:15||14:00 – 15:30|
Location of courses
Please note: refurbishing work means that there is only a small number of rooms available for courses in Nuremberg.
- The courses cost € 370.
- Any bank fees incurred when transferring the course fees are to be paid by the student taking the language course.
Please note that you can only be given binding confirmation of a place on the course once we have received your payment. As soon as payment is received, you are sent confirmation by e-mail.
- To ensure as far as possible that learners of a similar ability are in the same course, anyone interested in taking a German course at the Language Centre has to go through the ability assessment process.
- You can only take part in a course once your language skills have been assessed.
- The courses are offered at different levels roughly equivalent to the levels of the Common European Framework of Reference (CER).
- Absolute beginners are allocated automatically to level A1 or A1.1. An absolute beginner is someone who has never taken a German course and does not have any previous knowledge of German.
- Further information on how language proficiency is assessed can be found here:
- The argument that you have already worked in other courses with the textbook chosen for the course cannot be accepted as justification for being moved to a different level.
More about registration here.
Withdrawal, failure to attend, failure to complete the course
- If you withdraw from the course up to 7 days before the course is due to begin, you are refunded the course fees minus a processing fee of 60 euros. Notice of withdrawal must be given in writing. The date your letter or e-mail is received is decisive.
- If you withdraw at a later date, fail to attend or fail to complete the course you are not entitled to a refund of the course fees.
- If you are absent on the first two days of the course, this is deemed as a failure to attend. The reasons are not important. You can no longer join the course after the first two days have passed. Course fees can be refunded in justified exceptional circumstances (such as an accident or illness).
Sometimes the level best suited to you cannot be offered as not enough people have registered. In this case you will be allocated to the level which comes closest to your results in the placement test. If you decide after the first three days of classes not to continue with the course you will be refunded the course fees in full.