Writing tutor training
“Writing consultations are the perfect example of helping others to help themselves“Luisa, participant in writing tutor training course
Academic writing at FAU is no different from anywhere else, it is important to have a knack with texts and to find the right words and phrases. Acknowledging that this may prove particularly challenging for international students, the Writing Center at the Language Center offers regular writing consultations to support students at every stage of the writing process.
In order to ensure the continued availability of this valuable service, Jasmin Haderlein offered the writing consultation seminar again in December and January in the winter semester 2021/2022, aimed at anyone interesting in writing or considering becoming a writing tutor. A total of 14 participants took part over two weekends, receiving training in the basic theory behind writing consultations.
The course covered the following:
- An introduction to the different writing types
- The basics behind writing consultations
- What makes a good writing consultant?
- Leading and structuring conversations
- Techniques for giving feedback and advice
- Practical exercises focusing on consultations, with feedback
- Intercultural aspects in writing consultations
Using the theoretical knowledge gained during the course, participants are equipped with the tools they need to take their first practical steps and not only sit in on writing consultations with other people but try offering consultations to people close to them.