DSH (German Language Examination for Admission to University)
The DSH is an examination testing the German skills of prospective students from abroad who intend studying at a German university and have to prove that they are sufficiently proficient in German. You can only sign up for the DSH in Erlangen if you have been offered a place at Freidrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) or are already registered at the University (e.g. as an exchange student).
28. August 2019
Only for those, who have been offered a place at Freidrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) for the summer semester 2024.
DSH is an exam which is an on-campus examination. Hence it cannot be done online
DSH examination (written):
- Date: Tuesday, 02 April 2024
- Time: 1 pm to 8 pm
- Room: Hörsaal H5, Lange Gasse 20, 90403 Nürnberg
DSH examination (oral):
- Date: Tuesday, 09 April 2024
- Time: individual appointments from 9 am
- Room: Language Centre, Bismarckstr. 10, 91054 Erlangen, Room SZ 00.213
Payment of examination fee (80 euros):
- Date: Tuesday, 02 April 2024
- Time: 11 am to 12 am
- Room: 2.432, Lange Gasse 20, 90403 Nürnberg
Payment mus be made in cash. The examination fee cannot be paid by bank transfer.
Final results and certificates
- The publication of the final results of the DSH of 02.04.2024 is scheduled for 10.04.2024, 11:00.
- As of 11.04.2024, the DSH certificates can be collected from the Infotheke of the Language Centre in Erlangen during its opening hours.
Advance notification: DSH in September 2024: 30.09.2024
Results of DSH
Results of DSH
19. March 2018
Results of DSH are not available.
You have to register for DSH by 1 March for spring and by 1 September for autumn.
- Prospective students are sent a registration form together with their letter of acceptance to FAU.
- Students already enrolled at the University can request a registration form (email@example.com).
- Students taking a DSH course should ask in their courses.
Registration forms should be sent by post to: Sprachenzentrum der FAU; Abt. Deutsch als Fremdsprache Bismarckstr. 10 91054 Erlangen An e-mail is sent automatically confirming that the registration has been completed successfully.
At present, the examination fee is 80 euros. This must be paid in cash before the examination on the day indicated on the registration form. It cannot be paid by bank transfer. You can ask someone else to pay on your behalf, however.
The results of the written examination are published anonymously no later than one week after the examination on this website and posted on the notice board in the Language Centre. Results are listed according to examination number. The dates for the oral examination are announced together with the results. More specific information will be given during the examination. The overall results of the examination are published anonymously no later than one week after the oral examination on this website and posted on the notice board in the Language Centre. Results are listed according to examination number. More specific information will be given during the examination.
You can collect your DSH certificate from the information desk in the Language Centre one or two days after the overall results are announced. Please note our opening times. More specific information will be given during the examination.
The DSH examinations are always held shortly before the semester begins, i.e. in March/April and September/October, and generally require that students have already applied to FAU. Students who are already enrolled at FAU and students taking preparatory courses can also sit the DSH if they can prove that they have completed level B2. No-one else is allowed to sit the DSH at FAU. Requirements for applying to FAU are listed on the website of the Admissions Office. If you cannot provide proof of the required proficiency in German but can prove that you have German skills of at least level A2, you can apply for a place on a preparatory German course at FAU. These courses have to be paid for, however.
DSH examination preparation course
A four-day long DSH examination preparation course is held before the DSH. You can register for the course at the same time as registering for the DSH.
Overview of DSH
The examination consists of a written and an oral examination. The written examination consists of the following components:
- Reading comprehension: understanding a written text and answering questions on it
- Grammar: completing tasks on language-related structures taken from the reading comprehension text
- Listening comprehension: understanding and processing a listening text
- Text production: producing a text for a certain task
The oral examination is held after the written examination and lasts approx. 15–20 minutes. Candidates receive a short text which they should read and then discuss with the examiners. The oral examination is compulsory.